Ava is an app that enables group communication for deaf users. Their beta version just launched and the onboarding process needed some desperate help. I determined the primary goals to be changing the initial blitzkrieg of permission notifications to be more contextual, and to have users who were invited to a conversation via text link to begin talking in 3 or less steps.
I began with good ol' pen and paper to get an overall sense of the product and brainstorm some out-of-the-box ideas through rough wireframes. In order to build the correct context to ensure the permission notifications are accepted, I determined the onboarding process wasn't complete until the first conversation had been dictated.
Next, I scoped out the exact narrative of the user through user flows.
Using the user flows as a map, I built high-fidelity wireframes to delve deeper into the interaction the user would have. Usually, at this point I would build a prototype to test and reiterate, but the client wanted the full UI prototype to see my full thought process.
To keep the focus on the conversation, I kept the UI very minimalistic and was very intentional where color was used.
Outcome: This product is still in development so the outcome is tbd!